Friday, October 24, 2008

a battleground state

This election, I am feeling blessed to be living in Ohio. As most of you know, it's a very close race here and the two campaigns have been spending a lot of time and money. Until recently, I was clearly an undecided voter. A few weeks ago, Barack Obama was at a rally at a nearby park. I decided to attend. It was a great experience with over 15,000 people in attendance. I wasn't sure of the restrictions on bringing a camera, so I don't have any photos. I had a pretty good "standing position" and it was very exciting. I met some very nice people.
Two days ago, there was a McCain/Palin rally at Lunken Airport, which is less than 12 minutes from my house. I brought Tim with me, even though he is firmly in the "Obama" camp. I knew it would still be a good experience for him.
It was held in a hangar at the airport. Tim and I took positions outside along a fence. The secret service or security was on top with machine guns; interesting to watch. Below is Tim and you can see inside the hangar where the speeches were given.
Tim and I waited for over three hours for the rally to begin. I loved it!
The plane on the left (below) is a smaller one that says "McCain-Palin." I think this is the one that Sarah travels in. It arrived first with Gretchen Wilson and a hefty press corp. About 15-20 minutes later, the bigger plane arrived! It was so exciting!
Cindy McCain and Sarah Palin were the first to get off the plane! We had such a great view of the tarmac and all that goes on out there.
Below is Todd, John, Cindy and Sarah! They were waving to me (well, not really).
They walked across the tarmac and into the hangar for the rally. We could see them via a big screen while they gave their speeches. Everyone spoke, but Todd.
You can't really see, but the Palin's two youngest daughters were signing autographs in the shadows. They hung out and talked to other people while the speeches were given. After awhile, a young lady exited the jet with Trig in her arms and boarded the "Straight Talk Express" bus. Willow and Piper went on stage right at the end of the rallies.
I was so hoping that I would get to shake someones hand. John and Cindy McCain were making their way towards me. Secret Service finally reached where I was standing...making sure the floor was cleared and made me put my pen away!
I got to shake John McCain's hand and we looked each other in the eye! I also got to shake hands with Cindy. It was very thrilling. Oh, Tim got kinda bored and gave up his place along the fence and missed out on this chance.
Here he just past me. Sarah and Todd Palin did not make it to where I was standing. They waved, but that was all. Their family boarded the bus for Dayton. John and Cindy were off to Florida on the big jet.

No matter who wins, I want to support our next President. As my dad said today, we need to support him and get rid of the partisan politics and get our country on the right track.
Now, I just want this election to be all over.
Karen

4 comments:

junglemama said...

All I can say is WOW! How exciting Karen!

Anonymous said...

I already voted, and you know how I feel, so I won't comment!! oops....I almost started to comment!!

msufan56 said...

Karen,

Great post. I agree with you wholeheartedly that we need to support President Obama - oh - I mean our next President.

Even though you and I disagree on who we support for the President, I applaud you for being open minded and making your decision based on the issues. I deeply respect you for that.

As a devout Christian, I have been very disappointed in many Christians who blindly support McCain/Palin. Jesus is not a Republican or a Democrat. Let's make our decisions on the issues and not on scare tactics that many in the Christian community are throwing out.

I love you.

Mike

Annie said...

I don't think I blindly support McCain/Palin...in fact, I support them with anxiety and distress... I love Obama's personality and his willingness to listen....just his way of dealing with things. BUT, his social agenda is so contrary to everything I believe and I think it will completely change our country. It scares me!