Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Nickenson

Nickenson is a 17 year old Haitian that Kaitlyn met this summer. Nicky and Kaitlyn became fast friends. Almost from the first meeting, Kaitlyn felt a "big sister" type love for him. You see, Nicky would come to the orphanage almost every day because his friends work there. He is rather quiet and Kaitlyn didn't notice him the first month she was there. She got to know Nicky in June when Michael was in Haiti. Nicky is a kind young man. He helped Kaitlyn speak Creole and she helped him learn English. He is very patient and I see humility as a strong character trait.

Nicky's mom is pictured below. Her name is Marie and she is 38 years old. She works sometimes cleaning people's clothes but it hard to find a job. Nicky has two younger brothers, Spencer who is 12 and George who is 10. They do not go to school because their mom cannot afford it. I learned that Nicky's dad has another family and does not live with them. Nicky and his family live in a one room house with two mattresses and a tin roof. When it rains, they get wet. They share that home with his grandma (the mother of his father) and an aunt. So, you see, there are six people who share that one room. There is no kitchen, no bathroom, no electricity. He is one of Haiti's poor. Our entire family has been praying for Nicky and his family. He calls me "mama" and Mike "papa." We have been emailing Nicky very often and Kaitlyn has spoken to Nicky by phone. It might seem strange to most of you, but it is very common for Haitians to have a cell phone.

A blessing that has come to me from my August trip to Haiti is meeting Nicky. I have a "motherly" love for him. Nicky shared with us how sometimes he doesn't have hope that going to school and getting a good education will help him. He sees some of his close friends who are older and who have gone to school, still not able to find a job. We would very much like to help Nicky. We desire to bring him here to study and get a good education that he can take back to help his people of Haiti. We are not sure how this will work and are praying about it.
We took Nicky with us to the Hotel Ibolelee for the afternoon. We had lunch on a beautiful patio situated in the mountains near Petionville and then we were able to swim in their pool. We had such a fun day.
I feel I have a Haitian son. I desire to let him know that he is loved and that we care about him.
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lucky boy to have your family to love him!! It makes me so happy to hear this!!

Salzwedel Family said...

How wonderful! I do remember meeting him briefly while I was there. I'm praying this all works out for everyone.

Lara said...

We love Nicky too. He and my son Max became good friends in the summer of 2007. We are looking forward to seeing him again in December.

Lara - mama to Fritzson and Nata