Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Magical Canyon - Beloved Daughter

There are moments in your life that you wish you could freeze. I had one of those moments during Kaitlyn and my hike through the Grand Canyon. As we were nearing the completion of our 6 mile hike to the bottom of the Canyon , we caught this first glimpse of the Colorado River. We took a break and just breathed in the beauty of the canyon in total silence. All of a sudden, thoughts of Kaitlyn's life flooded my mind. I thought of her as a baby, as a toddler, grade school, high school and her recent graduation from the University of Michigan. I felt the love and admiration I have for this kind, caring and Godly daughter. It was a silent moment I will never forget for the rest of my life.
Taking in the beauty of the Canyon the day before our big hike.

Taking the road less travelled often means taking risks.


Our hike began at 5:30am. Another hiker took this picture about a mile down just after the sun rose. Our starting temperature was 40 degrees since we were at an elevation of 8,000 feet.



Just a mile further down on the South Kaibab Trail, it was already heating up and the blue, blue sky was stunningly beautiful. There was not a cloud in the sky.




"I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me."




We are almost to the bottom and the Colorado River is getting closer.



Enjoying the best lemonade in the world at the bottom of the canyon at Phantom Ranch. All supplies are taken down to the Ranch by pack mules each day. I don't know if it's that the lemonade is so tasty or the fact that you are so thirsty and hot after hiking 6 miles down a 21% grade. Kaitlyn looks like she just took a short stroll in the local park.


Getting ready for the 9 mile hike up the Bright Angel Trail, but first we have to cross that bridge. Kaitlyn was a big freaked.


It sure is a long way to go. It's about 12noon and we wouldn't get to the top until nearly 8pm. Walking 9 miles up a 14% grade is no walk in your average park.



Kaitlyn found this special place and we named it "Apple's Delight". Kaitlyn's friends call her Apple because of her love for eating apples. We stayed here an hour, took our shoes off, placed them in the cool water and splashed water on our face. It was yet another special moment. Whenever I walk the Canyon in the future, I'll always stop at Apple's Delight and think of my beloved daughter.



As Kaitlyn stated, "there is new beauty at every turn."



Here is my special place in the Grand Canyon. I found this special place just off the trail when I first hiked the Canyon in May of 2003. I walked the 23 mile trek across the canyon with two total strangers. By the end of the trip, we had made a special bond. We named it "Friendship Corner". It's one mile from Indian Gardens. You'll know it because it's where three Yuka trees line up in perfect symetry. The three trees represent the three friendships that bloomed from that hike together. Nick and I visited Friendship Corner during our hike in May of 2006. I have a goal in life to visit this special place with each member of my family at some point in life. I want some of my ashes spread here at death (and I'm serious).


Kaitlyn with Friendship Corner in the background.



Indian Gardens. After an hour rest here, we started the last 4.5 miles of the hike at 4:00pm. Kaitlyn took this beautiful picture.


It's just before 8pm and we are finally at the top. It's 14.5 hours since the start of our hike. We've walked 17 miles, climbed down 6,000 feet in altitude and back up 6,000 feet, gone from 40 degrees to 87 degress and back to 40 degrees, ate eight peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, 12 apples, endless power bars, tuna in a pouch, eight bananas and, of course, boxes and boxes of Pringles (the official energy food of the Grand Canyon according to Grand Canyon hiking legend Jim Day).
Thanks Kaitlyn for giving your Dad an experience of a lifetime and memories he will never forget.

8 comments:

Karen Combes said...

Mike:

Beautiful post! What an experience you and Kait had! You captured so much in your words and photos! I'm so proud of both of you and can hardly wait until it's my turn to experience "friendship corner" with you. I want to see Apple's Delight, too! I love you both so much!
Karen

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and thoughts Mike. You are such a great dad Mike. You take time with each of your children and let them know how special they are. (And they are!)

I loved this post!!

Love you all!

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of Mike for keeping the Pringles tradition alive. I was wondering if the food list was just what Mike ate or did he share a couple of bites with Kaitlyn?

Jim Day

Annie said...

What an incredible trip! The relationship between you is such a blessing. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Mike and Kaitlyn: What an awesome trip. I'm glad the 2 of you had the opportunity to share time together in such an awe inspiring place. I had a similar experience recently in Colorado skiing with Kelsey who just graduated from Florida Southern. Love you both and congratulations to Kaitlyn for obtaining her degree. Brother John

Anonymous said...

Kati and Mike, Wonderful pictures of a wonderful trip, what a special time for you two. I love you both. Love gramma dMary

msufan56 said...

Family and Friends,

Thanks for the wonderful comments regarding this trip. It was a special time for Kaitlyn and me.

It is a special treat to have "Grand Canyon Hiking Legend" Jim Day respond to this blog. Although he is a legend, I take great offense to his questioning me on whether I let my daughter eat any of the food on this trip. Mr. Days "dig" refers to a joint Combes/Day camping trip taken years ago where I ate all the spaghetti and failed to leave any for my daughter Kaitlyn who had not eaten yet. It was an unfortunate error on my part and thankfully my daughter is still speaking with me even though she nearly died of starvation on that camping trip.

Thanks Jim for steering me to the Grand Canyon in the first place. My goal in life is to walk the first three miles of the canyon with you. Last time I was only able to keep up for a mile. I'm hoping old age is catching up with you.

Mike

It's Gonna Be Me said...

What a wonderful post and magical trip!