Friday, March 7, 2008

thankful

Yesterday, Mike and I went to the Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland is a 4+ hour drive from Cincinnati. The reason we drove that far is that there is a Plasic Surgeon who specializes in the type of Breast Reconstruction surgery I desire to have. It is called DIEP Flap Surgery.

I met with a plastic surgeon in the Cincinnati area in September. She would do a Tram Flap surgery on me....but that means that the abdominal muscle gets cut and there is a risk of hernia. I do not want that. She told me that with my body type, she would recommend DIEP for me. She doesn't do that type of surgery and stated that she didn't feel anyone in the Cincinnati area has that type of expertise. She recommended either the hospital affiliated with Ohio State in Columbus or the Cleveland Clinic.

I was very impressed with Dr. Djohan (Yohan). He examined me and told us about the procedure. I even had photos taken (not fun). I am so glad that I embarked on the weight loss plan at the beginning of the year. Otherwise, I would not be a candidate for this type of surgery. As it is now, I am near the top of the BMI chart for where he likes to do surgery. He wants me to lose 15-20lbs before he performs this surgery.

BUT, that is okay with me...I was planning on it anyway. We are looking at either the third or fourth week in June, due to his vacation schedule in June. It is a micro-surgery and takes about 8 hours to perform. I will be in the hospital for around six days.

In the meantime, they will write a letter to get pre-authorization for insurance to okay this, which they should "okay" since it is a national law. My prayer would be that it would be covered by more than I imagine. I am praying that our "out of pocket" costs will be at a minimum.

Some people who have had mastectomies do not do reconstruction. They don't want to go through yet another surgery. I have thought a lot about this and tried to evaluate how it is now with the prothesis. I guess I feel I'm still young and I want to be able to wear "V" neck shirts without worrying about bending over and having my chest exposed. I want to feel "whole" again. Ever since the first day I found out I was having a mastectomy, I knew I desired a reconstruction. I am thankful that this is an option for me.

I am also thankful for family who have offered to come and stay with Tim and Julia. There are many details that will need to be worked out, but I am hopeful it will. Unfortunately, Nick will be in Germany and Kait in Haiti. But, I know they are where God wants them to be.

Love,
Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy for you Karen...I know that you will feel so good when it is done.

You are an amazing lady and I love you!!

msufan56 said...

Karen,

It was a fun day (except for the 8 hours of driving). I really liked Dr. Djohan and his staff. Very nice people and highly skilled.

I love you!!!

Mike