Sunday, November 11, 2007

Thank God - A Normal Weekend

Well, it was a normal weekend for the Combes family this weekend. And we are thankful to God for a relaxing and relatively uneventful weekend. On Friday, we went to our favorite local restaurant, Anderson Bar and Grill. Karen and I had a chicken wrap and a couple of beers while the kids ate and played video games. I came home and was asleep by 9pm. On Saturday, the girls (Karen and Julia) went to get Julia's haircut (looks adorable) and to a craft show. They were gone for hours having fun together. Tim and I hung out, mowed the lawn and raked some leaves. I was able to get a 15 mile bike ride in which was fun. Karen then went on a girls night out with some friends while Tim, Julia and I went to the Bee Movie. Julia loved it and so did Tim and I since we are BIG Seinfeld fans. Sunday we went to church (another great sermon and moving service), went to Panera a then home. Julia and I played games for 3 hours while Tim and Karen went shopping. We built our first fire in our home this afternoon as it was a cold and rainy day. It was fun to sit by the fire. Julia and Tim even roasted marshmellows and made smores. Now we are just hanging our watching some NFL football. The Bengals won - Whodey!! as the say here in Cincinnati (long story - which we still don't fully understand). We were excited that University of Cincinnati beat the #16 team in the country (Connecticut) yesterday and moved to 7-2 on the year. If they win their last two games, they will win the Big East and go to a BCS bowl. We were glad to see Ohio State lose to the Illini on Saturday. Karen has become the biggest Ohio State hater as she is sick of their arrogant attitude already.

Karen and I got a chance to talk to Kaitlyn and Nick this weekend and they sound like they are doing good, despite both having heavy homework loads. Please pray for them - that God would have them find some joy in their schoolwork.

We want to give a special shout out to my sister Linda who completed a two year spiritual internship with the Catholic Church and was commissioned last night to go and love and serve the world. Linda was selected by the group to give a speech regarding the internship and the commission. I am so proud of her. She is a such an example of God's love as she reaches out to all she comes in contact with and shows them God's true love, wisdome, caring and kindness. Congratulations Linda.

Have a great week. Love and blessings to all of you.

Mike/Dad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Mike. I talked to Kait tonight and she sounded great!!

I am glad that you had a somewhat quiet weekend!! Wasn't that great that Illinois beat Ohio State!!

I would love to see a picture of Julia with her hair cut.

Congratulations Linda!! You are a special lady and the love of God shines through you :-) Our family loves you!

Hugs

Karen Combes said...

Hurray for a "normal" weekend.

Congrats to Linda for completing her internship and being commissioned over the weekend.

Thanks for the good post Mike!

Karen

Anonymous said...

I am blessed by all of you. We first know love in the family and it sustains us throughout life. The commissioning was a powerful experience. Mike, you will appreciate that in preparation I walked the 8 mile loop at Kensington and reformatted my speech in my head as I walked. I thought of you because I used the scene in Forrest Gump where he has been running and running and running, but finally stops and says, "I think I'll go home now." That's what all of us interns did, returned home to the arms of God to be loved, forgiven, nurtured, enlightened and then sent forth with a different consciousness.

Thanks to all for acknowledging a very important moment, juncture in my life. I'm awash in love.

Linda

Annie said...

I kind of feel like this is a "family" blog, but since Karen gave me the link, I read it and catch up on you all. Frankly, this was just so sweet. I am envious. It all sounds so pleasant!