Sunday, January 27, 2008

Nick Finally Posts...

I haven't posted in a GRIP (in Nick language, that means a long time). Things are going well in East Lansing, and classes have had a pretty good start. Like Kaitlyn, my desire to study has been extremely low. I like my German classes: I am in one class that is strictly a German language class (GRM 302) and one that is a German Culture/Lit class after 1918 (GRM 342). I am also taking a class called Applications of Biomedical Science, which is actually very interesting. My fourth class is called Music and Society in the Modern World. We are learning about jazz. This class is very boring. I am trying to change my attitude though. I think..no I KNOW..that we have the choice in life whether to enjoy something or not. I can make studying a pain, or I can enjoy it and make it fun, not a chore. We can't change our circumstances in life, but we CAN change how we respond to them. I choose to respond positively.

Yesterday I worked something called the Assessment Center. It is for people applying to be Resident Mentors (RA's) and they are placed into groups and have to do activities. I was a judge, determining who would continue in the Mentor Selection process and who would be cut. I wasn't looking forward to it, but it ended up being fun. I felt bad when I checked the box that said "DO NOT HIRE" for one girl, but you got to do what you got to do!!!

I am officially going to Germany this summer for a study abroad. I will be gone May 15th to June 30th. I am very excited!

Church was good today...great worship. A lady fell asleep in church and I BUSTED OUT LAUGHING. tough crowd!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny!! You have so much grace in some situations and then you bust out laughing at a lady who fell asleep in church!!!!

I love you Nick....you need to post more often!!

Love and hugs
Karla

Karen Combes said...

Nick ~
I laughed out loud reading your post....but, I was not in church! ha! I'm glad you finally posted. It is good to read what you have to say! I love you and miss you!
Love ~ Mom

msufan56 said...

Nick,

Great post. I love your words about choosing our attitude. I have to remember that with work. You are a wise person at such a young age - I am learning from you.

I'm so excited about your study abroad. That will be so cool for you.

As always, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

DAD

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick,
That made Haley, Kelsey and I laugh out loud when we read about the lady falling asleep. I can just picture what you looked like when that happened. :-)

I have to say that I loved your comments about choosing to make the best of situations. You and Kaitlyn are both such awesome people. Your parents did an excellent job raising you both. (and Tim & Julia too) I pray that Haley and Kelsey turn out to be as great as you two!!

Looking forward to seeing Tigi on American Idol tomorrow. Have fun with Emma this week.

Love ya,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Lieber Nick,

Es freut mich sehr dein Blog zu lesen. Wunderbar das du nach Deutshland fahren wirst. Zuerst muss du Yo Yo Ma mit Tom and mir sehen.

Hofentlich die jazz Klasse verbessern wirst. Ich liebe Jazz. Vielleicht konnen wir Jazz versprechen (oder diskutieren?)

Ich werde dich telephonieren wenn ich zu Hause bin.

Bis spater, mein Schatz!

LInda

Karen Combes said...

WOW! Linda I'm impressed with your German. I could read "Yo Yo Ma." Pretty good, huh? ;-)
~Karen

Annie said...

That assessment center activity sounds really interesting!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nick:

I think you need to translate to us what Linda said. We need to make sure that you can handle being in Germany for that long!!! ha

Love you
Karla

Nick said...

Linda said:

It makes me happy looking at your blog. It is wonderful that you will be going to Germany. But first you will see Yo Yo Ma with Tom and I.

Hopefully your jazz class gets better. I love jazz. Maybe we can talk about jazz together.

I will call you when i get home.

Until later, my treasure.

Linda

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I am impressed with both of you!!!

I love you Nick and wish all the best for you!!
Karla

Anonymous said...

Believe me, Nick is ready for Germany. He not only has a strong foundation in German, he has an enthusiasm for the language and desire to communicate using it. Going to Germany will really strengthen his ability. I am so happy for him to have this opportunity.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Linda:

Don't we have THE BEST nieces and nephews!!!

Have a great day..tell Tom hello!
Karla