Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Wellness Invitation

While I was weighing myself a couple of weeks ago, I was dismayed to see that I was 3 pounds away from my heaviest weight ever. This sparked me to think about my eating and exercise habits. Even though I am in the health and fitness industry, I have been a poor example of what to do. In Rochelle, I voiced my thoughts and it brought up a spirited discussion with Karen, Karla, Kelly, Kaitlyn and Papa Jim (who has recently lost 40 pounds). Based on this discussion, I have come up with the following three month plan. I am asking you to join me in this endeavor to become more healthy and well. People who join this plan can expect the following:

1. Minimum of 25 pound weight loss.
2. More energy.
3. Improvement of key health metrics (cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides, etc).

Mike's Wellness Plan
Exercise Portion - Move, Lift, Stretch and Pamper:
1. Move: Cardiovascular exercise 5 days per week. Thirty minutes 3 days per week (non-strength training days) and twenty minutes 2 days per week (on strength training days). Cardio can be jogging, walking or aerobic dance and heart rate needs to be in the 120 and 140 beats per minute.
2 Lift: Strength training two days per week. One day upper body for 15-20 minutes and one day lower body for 15-20 minutes. We can use bands or weights. Aim to do two sets of 8-12 reps for four different strenth training exercises.
3. Stretch: Stretching/Core Training for two days per week (15-20 minutes).
4. Pamper: Reward ourselves each day for completing the days exercise. Take a long shower, a relaxing bath, read, go get a coffee or tea or whatever you like to do to relax. The key is to do something to reward yourself. (If the plan is all work and no enjoyment, you will not do it for the long run).
Nutrition:
1. Eat five meals per day. Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner.
2. Our breakfast, lunch and dinner cannot be more than one plate with three servings.
3. No snacks. Don't waffle on this. We don't need them as much as we think. Forget desserts, cake, ice cream, candy, chocolate for the next three months. We will live through it.
4. No supplemental bread. We can have bread for a sandwich, but no other bread allowed.
5. No snacks outside the five meals. (Exception: We can eat all the fruits and veges we want at any time.)
6. Strive to eat good food. Grilled chicken, tuna, fish, pure beef, vegetables, fruits. Stay away from baked and fried items, limit sugar and stay away from high fructose corn surup.
7. Limit soda pop/ice tea/coffee intake to maximium of 48 ounces per day. Before drinking any beverage, we must drink the same amount of ounces of water. For example, if we are going to have a 12 ounce can of coke, we must drink 12 ounces of water prior to having the can.
Parting Comments:
1. We'll start Monday, January 7 and go through Sunday, March 30.
2. Don't deviate from the plan. It will only be successful if we follow it. However, we are given three "grace" days throughout the program. We won't try to deviate, but if we do, we'll give ourselves "grace" and move on.
3. If you are wondering whether you can do this for three months, think about missionaires or our soldiers in Iraq. If they can be over there for more than a year away from family, friends and familiarity, we can certianly perform this plan for three months.
4. I'm betting we all feel so good after three months, we'll want to keep going.
Good luck and call (517)420-0477 or e-mail (mikecombes@aol.com) if you have any questions.
Let's have fun, lose weight, feel better and get healthier!!
Happy New Year.
Mike
Your Partner in Wellness

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--Mike. I'm going to give this some serious thought. I'm not committing yet but I will sure think about it. I am going to read it again more thoroughly when I have time and then see if I think I can do it or not. I need to do something--that is for darn sure!!!! (the no sweets/chocolate part is the hard part for me!) We are getting ready to order pizza right now---ha!! Good thing it doesn't start tonight. :-)
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike:

Would you give us an example of a days meals/snacks.

It was a great discussion that we had...I have thought a lot about it since then.

I am seriously thinking of partaking!!

If we all ate like Kait.........:-)

Karen Combes said...

Count me in! I know we can do this!!! I want to feel better and have more energy.

Karen

Kersten3 said...

I am very seriously thinking about this, too! We just watched Biggest Loser and that is always an inspiration!! I think this could be a really good plan! I definitely like the thought of feeling better and also the thought of my pants not feeling so dang tight!! HA!!!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

I am seriously considering this too!

I need to do something, that is for sure!!

Karla

msufan56 said...

I'm glad there is some interest in this. I'm two weeks into this and already feeling MUCH better. The first 10 days were very hard and I nearly quit each day. It was just so tough to stay away from food I "supposedly love" (especially an extra helping of Rod's pulled pork or any of his bread pudding). However, it is getting easier now and I'm starting to have more energy and feeling better already.

Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent Karla regarding ideas for the two daily snacks:

The following are some snack ideas: chicken breast, cottage cheese mixed with fruit, yogurt mixed with fruit, salmon, peanut butter (all natural) and celery, oatmeal mixed with soy protien powder, smoothies (blend frozen fruit, skim or soy milk, protein powder, yogurt and ice), beans and protein bars (Odwalla or Cliff Bars). I'll think of more and send them your way. The key is to get some protein in you inbetween meals so you are not super hungry at lunch and dinner.

As far as lunch and dinners are concerned, Chris Johnson has a new cookbook that just came out with over 100 recipes. I have given this to some people and they have "raved" about it. I will send a FREE copy of the cookbook to anybody who joins in this wellness plan.

Love and Blessings to all,

Mike

Annie said...

I am determined to do the aerobic exercise...that may be all I can manage at this point - but I'll mull it over! :)

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, I am going to do this with all of you. I went to DeKalb this morning and bought groceries and feel prepared mentally to do this. I am actually excited about it and the prospect of "feeling better." Thanks Mike, for coming up with this program to help all of us who need it. By stretching/core training, what exactly does that mean? Like pilates or something? I would like to come up with some sort of exercise schedule for myself. Thanks again for your help!
Kelly

msufan56 said...

Annie - thanks for joining the aerobics portion. That is great. But the truth of the matter is that you will not make any big strides without the nutrition portion. As time goes on, I hope you will be able to join us on the eating front also.

Kelly, I am so glad you are joining our wellness plan. Great job already getting the groceries. I e-mailed Kelly with the answers to her questions and here is a copy of my reply to her:

A whole grain bagel (or english muffin) is fine as long it is part of the meal, but a muffin is loaded with fat and is basically like having cake. For example, Karen heard today that a whole grain bagel (or english muffin) with ham and egg is less calories and more healthy for you than a bran muffin. Once again, be sure you dont have any additional/supplemental bread that is outside the meal like a dinner role, bagette at lunch or biscuit for breakfast. However, make sure you are having some protein with your bagel/muffin such as eggs or natural peanut butter. Protein helps curb your appetite. If you eat only carbs, you'll find yourself hungry all the time becuase your insulin goes up and down. Protein will keep your insulin levels stable.

By stretching/core training, I mean pilates, yoga, push-ups, lunges, squats, sit-ups or stretching that involves as much of your body as possible.

Remember: The key to the plan is to make it realistic. Your combination of cardio and stetching (or strength training) should only take you between 35 - 50 minutes. As far as your meals, don't be too "legalistic". Although you should always try to eat high quality meals, you will not always be able to. You are OK to have pizza, but keep it to one plate max (including any sides) and make sure to have no more than three servings total. Lastly, be aware that the first 10 - 14 days will be the toughest. After that, you will start developing a habit and it gets easier.

I'm so excited you will be joining us. You will not regret it if you stick it out for the three months.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Mike:

Count me in too!!!

Karla

msufan56 said...

Karla,

Awesome - how very cool!! How about big Rod. He and I need to get our cholesterol down.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Rod is in too!! If you can't beat um......join um!!! ha ha

Karla

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike:

I know that ultimately we only need be accountable to ourselves but I am wondering if that is how your plan is going to work?? Or do you want us to email you with our weight etc.......

Looking forward to getting healthy with my family!! (all of you)

Hugs
Karla

msufan56 said...

I am so excited about everyone that is participating. Karen and I just discussed the question about accountability. My thoughts are to just be accountable to ourselves. However, if you would like, I would be happy to come up with a simple excel spreadsheet that we can all fill out on a daily basis to help keep us accountable. Or, we could just report our weight on a weekly basis

Please give me your thoughts on this.

As you embark on this journey, please note the following:

1. I cannot emphasis enough that the first 10-14 days will be the toughest. You will not be happy intially - you'll be missing an old friend (bad food) that has comforted you in the past. However, at the two week mark, you will start feeling a sense of control over food and your life that feels good.

2. It's so important to follow the basics of the plan, but don't be too legalistic. For example, as long as you are sticking to one plate with three servings at dinner, don't "stress" that all the food has to be perfect. Just do the best you can.

3. Pampering is important!! Make sure you are rewarding yourself properly. For example, Karen is always taking care of her five kids (I'm the fifth) and she often fails to take care of herself. Make sure you are doing some special things for yourself such as warm bath, go out to coffee, giving yourself a night to yourself.

4. Let's use each other as a support group. Call each other if you are facing temptation. I am fine with you calling or e-mailing me at anytime. If I don't answer my cell, just leave a message. I don't get coverage inside my clubs. My office number is (513)624-4695. Call anytime.

5. I'm increasing the "grace days" to 6 over the three months. This will give you two grace days per month. My sister Linda told us about Oprah's Dr.Oz who says to practice a "You Turn". If you take a wrong turn while driving, you don't quit driving. You take a U-Turn. Same goes for this wellness plan.

6. Have fun!!

This will be really cool as we all start losing weight, having more energy and feeling more in control.

Yours in love and wellness,

Mike

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mike:

We should be able to keep track ourselves but if you make an excel sheet, I would love to see it!

I am looking so forward to the feelings that I will have soon!

Can we have a word of the day or something to inspire us each day???

I love the U-TURN concept...how easy it is to just give up, but we just need to do a u-turn!!!!

Thanks Mike and I am looking forward to the dinner at the end of March!!!!

Karla

msufan56 said...

Karla,

I will put together the spreadsheet. I think it would be a great idea. The feedback I always get is that "accountability" is a major factor in the success of a weight loss plan. This would help with the accountability.

The word or the concept today is "delayed gratification". It's a concept from the book "The Road Less Traveled", by M. Scott Peck. What we are all doing in this plan is not giving in to the "instant" gratification of bad or too much food. Instead, we will wait for the GREATER "delayed" satisfaction of feeling better, losing weight and feeling in control.

Blessings to all,

Mike

Anonymous said...

How True!! Thanks for the word of the day!!

So far, so good!