Tuesday, January 22, 2008

update from ann arbor

By Kaitlyn

It's been awhile since I posted, so I thought I'd update everyone a little on my life! I've been back in Ann Arbor for a few weeks now - those annoying things they call classes started again so I've been doing that. It's weird, I feel really "checked out" when it comes to school. I think it's called senioritis - and I have it, majorly. I have a bad attitude about school and I recognize that I probably need to change it, but it's a struggle. In my head, I know I'm very fortunate to be getting an education here, but when I'm living it out - going to class, doing my homework - I don't feel very thankful. Anyone have words of wisdom on how to change a bad attitude about something you should appreciate? I could use it. OH - the big deal around here lately is that the University emailed all the seniors and told us that we cannot have our graduation at Michigan Stadium - which is where it's traditionally held - because it will be under construction. Instead it's going to be held at Eastern's football stadium. A lot of seniors got really mad and protested so I guess it might get changed, we'll see. I think it would be a little weird to graduate from U of M on Eastern Michigan's campus. But for me, as long as my family can all be there and I can graduate and get my diploma, I'm happy:)

This semester, I'm continuing as a student mentor in a 5th grade classroom at an Ann Arbor elementary school.
I'm in the classroom 3 days a week for 2 hours at a time. I've been helping in this class since September, and I love it. I've gotten to know all of the kids, and have a close relationship with many of them. They're great. It's so good for my heart to be around kids.. I feel like I'm in my element when I'm spending time with them. My role is to be a positive role model, help them with school work, help them set goals, and encourage them. I've formed a really special bond with one girl in particular, and I think she is the reason God has me in this particular classroom.

Hmm what else.. this past weekend I went on a retreat with my church! It was a good time. There were four sessions with worship and teachings throughout the weekend, and there was also time to hang out with friends and seek God on my own. I came back excited and encouraged - the sermons were thought-provoking and challenging and got me excited. In the few days that I've been back, though, I really feel like Satan is attacking and throwing lies at me.. mostly that I won't really be able to do anything for God's kingdom, that it will be "too hard". It's a battle.. but I know that my God is loving and gracious and that if my heart is to follow him then he will use me to do wonderful things for Him. I want him to continue to work in me so that the fruit of the Spirit is evident in my life - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control. In one of Brian Tome's sermons, he said something like, "God's fruit in your life is not the cool things you do on the outside, it's the beautiful things that spring up on the inside." I like that. I want to stay engaged in the moment, to really be present in each moment. Live life and take it in and be here now.

I miss you, family - D, M, N, T, J - I love you all like crazy.

-Kaitlyn-



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww...what a great post! I love your honesty as you share your heart Kaitlyn. I am so amazed by you and your wisdom at such a young age.

I love you Kait and I will be praying for you and your school struggles....hang in there, you are almost done and then you can do the things GOD has in store for you!!

Love you
Karla

Karen Combes said...

Hi Kaitlyn:

I love the way you express yourself and share from your heart. You are so close to the end of your college life. It will be over before you know it. Try to find the "joy" in it...like hanging with your friends and mentoring to that 5th grader in AA. I love you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to say that you aren't doing what GOD wants you to do now....but I know that he has big and different plans for your future!! He certainly is using now as well!!

What a great mentor for those kids. I look at you as a mentor to my kids too!!

Love you so much
Karla

Karen Combes said...

Kait - I get an email everyday from Proverbs 31 Ministry. Today a verse stuck out to me to help you find joy in a tough situation:

Psalm 51:12, “Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me”

The "sustain me" part spoke to me about your situation. I pray that God will sustain you and fill you with the joy of his salvation.

I love you,
Mom

msufan56 said...

Kaitlyn,

Great post - I love your honesty and "realness". I will continue to pray that God protects you from Satan's attack. Satan is a deceiver and a liar. If he attacks you, say to Satan, "wow Satan, I appreciate your attacking me. I must really be getting close to God or you really wouldn't bother me. I consider it a compliment that you are attacking me with you lies. You just increased my faith - thanks!" That will really piss him off.

I'm so happy that you have found your passion in being with young children. You are blessed to know your passion at such a young age. In a way, God has done you a favor by showing you that you don't like going to school. If you liked school work, you would go on to graduate school and end up not pursuing your passion. It's funny, we often are upset and wonder where God is when we are doing something that we don't enjoy. But really He is showing us that we shouldn't be pursuing that area because it's not in our passion area.

Hey, if you want I could call up MSU and see if you and your Michigan grads could hold graduation at Spartan Stadium. What do you think? You could graduate from the "real" big house. A stadium that actually really holds 80,000 rather than a stadium that holds 55,000 and then tries to say it's capacity is 110,000 by having people sit two to a seat.

Love you so much!!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn,

I've been meaning to call you so that we can get together. I'll be in Florida with your Dad this weekend for our mom's 80th birthday and will get in touch when I get back home.

Re: senioritis You asked for words of wisdom. As I always tell you about anything I say, "Take what you like and leave the rest." My words of wisdom are to let it be and don't push too hard. Try to be curious about it rather than judgmental of yourself. Put aside time for play and quiet reflection. Do the work you need to do as business for a certain period of time and save your energy for the things about which you are passionate.

Re: Satan I was taught to visualize myself actually turning my face and body away from him and looking in the opposite direction. It has worked for me.

Tom and I look forward to your graduation which I selfishly hope will be in the Big House. But wherever it is, we will be cheering for you and the great accomplishment.

Love you,

Linda

Anonymous said...

NO WAY can Gramma Mary be 80!!

I sure hope that I look that good and do as well as she does when I am 80!

Please tell her Happy Birthday from the Browns!!

Karla

Annie said...

Kaitlyn - you are doing something for God's kingdom already!!! You are an inspiration to me, if nothing else...and what about that little girl? Mother Teresa was all about loving one person in one moment - that's what made her great! You are on the right track!

What classes are you taking that leave you uninspired? I can't imagine that....but I'm a "schoolaholic"....I could convince myself that I absolutely LOVED any class I took. I always thought it was funny - as I look back on my ideas that I'd do all these really unsuitable things (be a climatologist, a lawyer, etc.) just because I "got into" a class. Fortunately these weird urges passed once it was over. Maybe I should be more grateful for that gift of adaptation.