Friday, February 8, 2008

Friday Evening

This is Mike posting. It's Friday evening after 11pm and Tim and I are up jamming to music. I just got the new Jukebox cd by my favorite singer Burton Cummings (along with his old partner from the Guess Who and former founding member of BTO - Randy Bachman). It is a great cd. Karen got it for me off the internet for Christmas, but it just arrived since it originally went to our old address in Michigan. Tim and I went to see Cloverfield tonight. It's a movie about a giant monster destroying New York City. Sounds goofy, but it is a really good movie. We went to have tea and coffee at Starbucks after the movie so we are both wired on caffeine right now. Karen and Julia went to see the Hannah Montana movie tonight with Julia's friend Camryn and her mom. They didn't visit Starbucks so they are now sleeping soundly.

Tomorrow we are going to Oxford, Ohio (home of Miami of Ohio University) to see my neice Lindsey Combes' and her boyfriend. Lindsey's boyfriend is the head athletic trainer for the varsity men's basketball team. They are really good and made the NCAA tournament last year and won in the first round to make it to the final 32 teams in the nation. My brother John will be there and we are all going to the Miami versus Central Michigan basketball game. John is a graduate of CMU and he obnoxiously cheers for them wildly whenever they play Miami to the chagrin of his daughter. So my job tomorrow will be to put a lid on his cheering. (I know it's hard for all of you to imagine that I have a brother that cheers obnoxiously for his team. I don't know how we could possibly be brothers.)

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Love,

Mike/Dad

3 comments:

Karen Combes said...

Looking forward to our trip to Oxford this afternoon. Should be a good time (as Nick would say).

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
How was the game? Did you like the officials? My brother in law/best buddy Bart Wegenke worked the game!@ Small world. Take care, Larry from MSU!

msufan56 said...

Larry,

I thought that was Bart and I almost asked Karen if it was him, but he looked too young. How old is he? He looked like he was in his 20's out there. I know he cannot be that young, but he must keep in great shape. He and his crew did a GREAT job officiating the game. As a former official, I always pay attention to the officiating. The crew was almost flawless in the game and that is so hard in D1 basketball where there is so much judgement on every single play. I also noticed several times where Bart and one other official had the same call and Bart patiently waited and made eye contact with the other official to make sure they were on the same page. That's a sign of excellent officiating. The game was great also with Miami coming back twice from double digit deficits to win the game at the end. My nieces boyfriend got in the action as head athletic trainer by taking care of a Miami player in great pain after getting a hip-pointer. Due to Mike's expertise, this player came back in the game to make a great contribution.

Give Bart my best. And please let me know if he does another game at Miami or if he ever comes to UC or Xavier. Also, have him say hi to Mike next time he officiates Miami.

Mike