Monday, February 4, 2008

Random Thoughts From Dad

Here are some thoughts out of my mind on this Monday Morning (with apologies to Bob Talbot, the old Detroit Free Press writer who wrote a weekly column entitled "Out of My Mind on a Monday Moaning"):

Loved seeing the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. I despise the Patriots. I have always loved rooting for the underdog - it's something I learned from my Dad while watching sports. Unless he was a fan of one of the teams, he always rooted for the underdog. I find New England is so cocky and arrogant. Bill Belicek is a cheater and Tom Brady is a pompous idiot in my book - so it was fun seeing them get beat. Also enjoyed seeing former Spartan Plaxico Burress catch the winning TD. It was a touching interview after the game when he broke down and cried. I also enjoyed Tom Petty's halftime performance, but he sure is looking old.

I'm enjoying winter in Cincinnati. We had a sunny weekend around 5o degrees. I went for a walk on the walking trail near our house on Saturday with shorts and a sweatshirt. This evening it had to be near 60 degrees. I was outside on the back porch trimming my goatee without my shirt on - and I wasn't cold. It's suppossed to be 66 degrees tomorrow. I thought I might miss the snow, but it's really nice to not have any lingering snow. It snows here, but it generally does not stay. The first snow of the year, I woke up and shoveled the driveway. At work, I told everyone that I was surprised that I was the only one in my neighborhood to shovel. The people at work laughed and said, "we don't shovel, because it will be gone by noon."

I'm really enjoying the primaries and the entire political process. I really like John McCain, Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama. We have brute honesty and integrity (McCain), brillance and a total command of the issues (Clinton) and a true charismatic, electric person with new ideas (Obama). It will be interesting to see what happens. I predict Clinton versus McCain with a Clinton victory as America has it's first woman president.

It's January, so it's the busiest month in the club business. Work is busy, but I'm enjoying it for the most part. Nice, kind people - members, staff and the Mercy administration.

Karen and I are enjoying our new "wellness" life. You wouldn't believe Karen. She is buying Bison meat, cod liver oil, coconut oil, range free eggs and all sorts of other healthy treats. We are also getting five workouts in per week. Karen is totally into spinning now and never misses her Monday evening spinning class. We both feel great and are looking forward to getting our weights down. Karen is focused on following the Chris Johnson On Target Living method of getting the cell healthy.

Well, it's time to go to bed.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kaitlyn and Nick come home for spring break towards the end of the month.

Take care and blessings to all,

Mike

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike:

Great post...the first paragraph sounds like Rod could have written it. He felt the same way!

Enjoy your nice weather Mike, we are suuposed to get up to 13 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow! We have never snow blown so much!

Have a blessed day Mike,
Karal

Karen Combes said...

Mike:
Herer's to Cod Liver Oil, Range Free Egges and Ground Bison!

I love you!
Karen

Anonymous said...

GO PATRIOTS! I was so mad when the Giant's got a touchdown with like 45 seconds left for the Patriots to get a touchdown. If the Patriots offence would have defended tom more we would have won! With out Eli the Gaints would have lost. It was so cool to see Peyton up in the box cheering him on! Haha! I no my stuff! Hope everyone is great
Love ya Mike!
Haley

Anonymous said...

Haley....WOW!!! Who told you all that??

Love you

Karen Combes said...

Correction, Mike: It is February already! ;-)
Love ya ~Karen

msufan56 said...

Haley,

Wow - I'm so impressed with your football knowledge. Now you'll have to learn the difference between the "good" teams (like Lions, Bears, Bengals, Giants and Bills) and the "evil" teams (like Patriots, Cowboys and Raiders).

It sounds like you are a fan of Eli which is very cool.

Eli Manning - Good
Tom Brady - Evil Playboy (stay away from guys like him.)

Love you,

Uncle Mike

Love you,

Mike

Anonymous said...

Tom Brady Rocks!
The good teams:
1. Patriots
2. Bears
3. AND NONE OTHER
the bad teams:
1. Giants
2. Colts
3. Packers

Tom got sacked! That's not fair!
I no my stuff!

msufan56 said...

Haley,

You're confused. Tom Brady doesn't rock - he has rocks in his head.

I'm still impressed with your football knowledge. Can you tell me how to compute a quarterback rating?

Love,

Uncle Mike

Anonymous said...

well you figure out these steps:
1. Number of passes attempted
2. Number of Passes completed
3. number of yards passing
4. Number of passes for touchdowns
5. Number or passes intercepted
then you compute it! it depends on the quarter back. If you want give me a name of a popular quater back and i will compute it.
love ya
haley

Anonymous said...

Tom Brady's Ratings
passes attempted: 109
Complete passes: 77
passing yards: 737
Passes of touchdowns: 6
Itercepted passes: 3
total percenage: 96.0!
see i get it now! haha I love the internet!

Anonymous said...

Haley:

I was talking to Karen and Mike went to bed while we were talking so you will have to wait until tomorrow to hear which quarterback he wants you to figure for him.

You are too funny!! You had Rod and I laughing out loud!!

Love you

Anonymous said...

haha good thats the point karla!

Karen Combes said...

Haley! I am so impressed. I predict we will see you on the sidelines of an NFL game as a commentator! You would ROCK!!!

Love ya!
Aunt Karen

ps Uncle Mike is dumbfounded at her knowledge. He thought that was too tough of a question that you would never get it!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you karen and mike but i have to tell you the truth i looked it up on the internet. It did not tell me The stats but i had to find those anyway. Hahaha!