Sunday, February 24, 2008

Out of My Mind on a Sunday Night

This is Mike blogging and here are some random thoughts on this Sunday evening:

I had to hang up on Karen tonight. As many of you know, she is in Florida visiting my mom. As if it wasn't enough to go sailing on the Atlantic ocean and spend two days soaking up the sun while the rest of us are facing snow, gray skies and cold temps, she had to mention while on the phone that she had just spotted dolphins. That was it, I hung up.

Kaitlyn came home on Saturday. It is great to see her. We have been low key while she has been home. We went to church and spent alot of time at home.

Nick and Kaitlyn's boyfriend Michael are coming next weekend. That will be fun. Michael will be spending a few days and then taking Kaitlyn back to Ann Arbor. Nick is on Spring Break and will be home the following week. Fun, fun, fun.

I find the current political situation fascinating. I still like all three (McCain, Clinton and Obama), but I have to admit that Obama is really pulling me in. He has that special charisma, like a John or Bobby Kennedy, that pulls you right in. Obama is going to be speaking at University of Cincinnati tomorrow (Monday). I wish I wasn't so busy at work, otherwise I would love to go. I saw Jimmy Carter speak in Flint, Michigan the night before his victory in the 1976 presidential election. That was cool.

Speaking of cool, I got an e-mail this week from my all-time favorite singer, Burton Cummings (former lead singer of the Guess Who who had several top 10 hits including American Woman, These Eyes, No Time, Undone, Share the Land). I go to his my space page and respond to his blogs. I went to my e-mail one day and there was an e-mail from Burton thanking me for my enthusiasm on his board. I love the internet age. Here I am communicating with a former rock star.

I'm watching the Oscars, but I'm not into it like I have been in past years. I have not seen any of the movies up for awards, so it's hard to get excited.

It has been my pleasure to serve on the planning committee for the Mercy Health System Black History Month Special Event. The event is Wednesday and it will be a fun night. We'll have over 400 people there. Our featured speaker is Herman Boone - who is the coach who wrote the book Remember the Titans that became the famous movie starring Denzel Washington.

Karen and I are enjoying our new wellness life. Karen has gone crazy and is a real "health nut". It seems that everyday she comes up with some new health treat whether it's cod liver oil, coconut oil, flax meal - there's always something new. She is also exercising 6 days per week and I'm doing 5 days. Karen has lost more than 17 pounds and I have lost 15 pounds. We both feel healthy and great.

Julia and Tim are doing great. They are super kids and they make me laugh each and every day.

Here's a joke for the week: What goes clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop, BANG, clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop. Answer: An Amish drive by shooting.

Well, that's about all that's in my mind tonight. I hope all of you have a super week.

Love,

Mike (Dad)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike:

We are expecting more snow here tonight 6-8 inches!!

I wish I was in Florida on the beach!!

Love
Karla

Karen Combes said...

Well, yes, it is true. Mike did hang up on me. Sort of. ha! I'm getting ready to leave in a couple minutes for the airport. I've had a blast.