Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mike and Tim for Obama

Unlike my conservative wife, my progressive son Tim and myself are fully supporting Barack Obama for President. Obama has the ideas, vision, intelligence and tenacity to propel our country to prosperity in the new global economy. In addition, Obama will restore our respect and integrity worldwide. Unfortunately, our standing internationally was severely eroded by the lack of planning and forethought by George Bush and Dick Cheney. (Just as our son Nick who spent six weeks in Europe this summer. Our leadership is not respected at all overseas.)

Please be aware that I am not some left wing liberal. I voted twice for George Bush (I plead insanity for voting to re-elect him). As my wise brother-in-law Tom Tomala states, "it is understandable that we voted Bush in for one term, but it is inconceivable that we re-elected him for a second term." I'm an independent who votes based on the qualifications, integrity and intelligence of the candidates. I deplore the partisan politics that have resulted in gridlock in our nation. I'm sick of both die-hard democrats and republicans who blindly follow their party and think that each person in their party is correct and that the other party is always wrong. Let's not listen to idiots like Al Franken and Rush Limbaugh who wear blinders. Let's have a brain and think independently rather than toeing the party line. That's when we'll really move our country forward TOGETHER.

I'm hoping and praying for an Obama victory in November and the beginning of new, progressive and enlighted leadership in America.

Mike

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Combes Family!

I just decided to take a look at the blog and saw these GREAT posts. Karrrren, I 100% agree with your post...no criticism here. I will admit, I'm not a very politically involved person, but I was shocked, and I mean SHOCKED when I heard McCain chose Palin for his VP. Very interesting. Mike, loved your post about Obama. It's nice to see "level headed" Christians...voting not only based on political party. Love it! Hope you guys had a great weekend here in EL. Please give my congrats to Kaitlyn!

Tigi

Anonymous said...

I got in line at 7:30 AM yesterday to see Sen. Obama at Hart Plaza in Detroit. My purpose was to have an experience which is exactly what happened. It wasn't the five minutes or so that he spoke. It was the standing in line listening to a group of young law students, one Iraqi, one African-American, one Italian talking abou† their lives. It was lifting kids up on the cement base of the flagpole I had staked out and was sharing with an extended family. It was the sixth grader who told me she like Mr. Obama because he was so "focused and will get the job done." It was waves and waves of diversity gathered, discussion of job and house losses, the cheers to his request for us to be one another's keepers, and, dare I say it, the hope he audaciously advocates.

I just find him "sober." I think he looks at situations with an eye for what's really important; I think he understands multiple perspectives. I think he sincerely wants us to build a better world and will enlist us to do it.

Re: Sarah Palin. As I understand it, her husband is on leave from his job and is serving as main caretaker. My friend Victoria is a federal court judge and raised a down syndrome child while working full time and being single. That young man is flourishing. I think every family has to make their own decisions on what works.

It's an interesting campaign and people are paying attention. That's good.

Love,

Linda

Anonymous said...

Mike and Tim "right on"! If we elect McCain for the next 4 years, we will have another 4 years of Bush policies. I'm sure my daughter Karen will "see the light", eventually. PaPa Jim

Anonymous said...

I am saddened that you chose to use the word "idiots" for Al and Rush.

junglemama said...

I was voting for him too until I saw this http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=0xkT_W5l9-k&feature=related and this
http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=4pO1dIKgfPw&feature=related and this
http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=4kdWN5WllGc&feature=related

This is so wrong to be. Just wanted to share with you.

Christine

Anonymous said...

In response to Christine,

I think it's important to evaluate sources, compare facts, and to consider interpretation from those sources. When I saw your response I visited the sites you listed. Then I googled the issues and sorted through the sites provided. I found an interesting and what I consider to be fair discussion of one of the issues on a fact check page on Newsweek's site:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/155560 See what you think. In my opinion, there's a lot to sift through in order to find objective information without rhetoric...on both sides.

Sincerely,

Linda Tomala (Mike's sister)