Monday, October 1, 2007

A Fun Family Weekend

It was a great weekend. Kait and Nick got here about 7:30 Friday night. The Pork Chops and Asparagus were great. Kait and I enjoyed the White Zin, too! This photo was taken in Kentucky overlooking the Ohio River with downtown Cincinnati in the background. We were trying to find a restaurant on the river to eat, but they all had a two hour wait. So many Cub fans were milling around. GO CUBS! They had just beat the Reds to clinch the division.
Kaitlyn and Nick enjoying Tim's football game on Saturday afternoon. Tim's team lost...again, but it was a beautiful day. It was our turn to pick up trash in the stadium after the game, and K&N were a big help.


Here Tim is getting ready to go to his game. His friend, Chet, is with him. Chet is in Tim's class and lives on the street behind us. He is a nice kid. His family goes to the same church as ours, so that is cool.

And, here is another family photo from Saturday night. We ended up going to Smokey Bones to eat....but it was a nice drive around downtown Cinci. On Sunday we all went to church and out to eat at Panera. Yum. I guess my "hint" worked.
Kaitlyn and I are getting excited about our trip to Haiti. We leave on Friday, Oct. 12. We will spend that night in Miami and catch a 7am flight to Port Au Prince on Saturday morning. It will be nice to spend a week with Kait and seeing her passion for Haiti firsthand. I can't wait to meet Jonathan, the little boy she fell in love with while she was down there in August. We are so excited that Jonathon will be adopted by a wonderful family in Rochelle, IL. He will have his forever family in a community that has embraced Haitian children. Kait is excited that she can see and hear about him as he grows up.
It was so great to be a "whole" family for the weekend, and sad when they left. I don't know when I will see Nick again. There is a chance we will go to East Lansing for the Nov. 3 MSU vs UM football game. I know we will all be together in Florida for Thanksgiving. YAY!
Please say a prayer for Connie, my dad's wife, and her family. Connie's older brother, Dean, died on Saturday. Dean's life had many challenges, but he was loved by his mom, dad, two sisters, and younger brother. I never got to meet Dean, but know how much Connie loved him. Connie, I'm praying for you and your entire family during this difficult time.

Well, I'm off to change the laundry over and then take Mike's car to get cleaned...inside and out. I was returning a large coffee container yesterday after our concession stand fundraiser, and it spilled all over the backseat. Tim asked me if Dad was mad at me about this, and I said "No. He needed his car cleaned so he was happy."
Love,
Karen




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I am glad you all had a great weekend!!

Don't even talk about Thanksgiving....how can you steal our babysitter!! ha ha

Hugs
Karla

kaitlyn said...

Thanks for posting the pictures! It was such a fun weekend.

I can't believe we leave for Haiti so soon. Next time I see you we'll be in Miami:)

by the way, did the coffee stains come out of the backseat? spilling coffee is nothing compared to that side mirror!!

Karen Combes said...

You are right! Well....when I arrived at Johnny's Car Wash they had sent their "detail" guys home so they couldn't shampoo the carpets or upholstery. BUMMER! I will have to call Saturn to get the mirror fixed! (Mike side swiped a pole at Panera the other day)

Can't wait to see you in Miammi on the 12th! Did you get your car all unloaded?

Mom

Anonymous said...

What great pictures!! It looked like you were all having so much fun! Tim looks so "cute" in his uniform. I know you guys are all excited about going to FL for Thanksgiving but I'm bummed! It won't be the same without you guys here in Rochelle. :-(
Kelly

Karen Combes said...

I know....we will miss you guys at Thanksgiving, too. It won't feel like "tradition."
Karen

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Good times & great memories...that is what family is all about. I am so glad to hear you all had such a wonderful weekend together.

Thank you for your kind words. Mike and I feel very blessed to have found Jonathan. He will be (and already is) loved by so many special people ~ including you guys!

Have a wonderful time loving on all those beautiful children. Enjoy your travels together and be safe!

love,
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Ok Karen, how about a new post...you are WAY behind!!!

Ha ha
Hugs
Karla