Wednesday, October 31, 2007

just some thoughts

First the good news. I spoke with my oncologists office and the x-ray looks fine...she said "no cancer" and she did see what she called a "spur." I've had heel spurs before and the pain is similar. I'm just relieved that she didn't see cancer. hurray!

We have decided to go to Michigan this weekend. Mike will be attending the MSU vs. UM football game on Saturday afternoon. It will be a VERY quick trip. We won't be leaving Ohio until 5pm on Friday; we are staying with Tom and Linda on Friday night. Saturday we will drive to East Lansing where I will spend the day with Nick and hopefully Kaitlyn will come over. Tim is excited to see his friend, Collin. Julia is hoping she can see Anastasia. We will have to leave EL by 10am on Sunday. I haven't been back to MI since June.

So, today is Halloween. It is a beautiful day in Cincinnati. A perfect fall day...mid 60's, mostly sunny, a breeze blowing. It will be our nicest Trick-or-Treating night in many years. I did find out that although they have a Halloween Party in Julia's class, they do not dress up. I did not even realize this until this morning when I noticed that nothing was sent home regarding the appropriate costumes. When we got to school, the counselor was outside greeting kids and I asked her if they dress up at Wilson. She told me no. Julia did take her costume in her backpack, but I did mention to her that they might not dress up. She really enjoyed the Donley tradition of the Halloween Parade. Tonight at 5pm, our neighborhood is having a Halloween Parade that ends up at another neighbor's house where we will eat hot dogs, and other goodies. Should be fun. Julia is a cowgirl and Tim is a gangster.

Last night Mike and I went to an event with the President one of the Mercy Hospitals. They had bought a table for this leadership event. I was excited because it was a night out with Mike and we got to dress up! ha! The other cool thing was Lou Holtz was the featured speaker. I've always admired him....mainly because Regis Philbin spoke so highly of him. =-) The walk away message was 1. Always do the right thing. 2. Do your best. and 3. Be kind to others. He talked about a positive attitude and how we should build each other up and not tear each other down. I really had a wonderful evening.

I still miss Haiti and the kids at 3A's. I am trying not to lose the "high" that I experienced when I returned. I long to go there again.

Karen

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great news!! Have fun in Michigan this weekend.

Hugs
Karla

Anonymous said...

That is such good news, Karen. I am so glad to hear that! :-) Have a great trip to Michigan!
Love ya,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Yea! You already do all that Lou Holtz stuff.

See you soon.

Love,

Linda

Anonymous said...

Aunt Rosemary called for Danny to get your phone numbers for this weekend! I gave them your cell and home phone as well as Mike's cell!!

msufan56 said...

Karla,

Make sure to tell Danny not to follow through on his threat to wear Illinois clothes to the game. I've seen many a person thrown in the cold red cedar river (the river that flows right by the football stadium) for lesser reasons. And the MSU fans will get help from the Michigan fans in tossing him in. This is fair warning. I cannot be held responsible for the actions of my fellow Spartan alumni. Tell him to save himself a cold swim and wear green and white. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Sparty Mike

Anonymous said...

Mike:

I WILL pass the message on!! LOL!!!
Karla

Anonymous said...

Hey it’s Danny!

I hope I get to see you guys on Sat. I left a message for Karen earlier today. Look for the guy dressed in full Chief Illiniwek regalia. U of I all the Way!
See you Saturday, I hope.

-Dan

msufan56 said...

Dan the Man,

Ok Chief, I'll have a towel ready to dry you off.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday at the game. I'll be tailgating between 1pm - 3pm in the lot just to the west of the basketball arena (Breslin Center). I'll have a beer or two ready for you. Call me at 517-420-0477. Most likely there will be no cell phone availability due to the mass of people (over 120,000 in a two-square mile area). I'll be looking for you. Just walk around the lot looking obnoxious in your UI gear. Hopefully Tom Izzo won't see you or your could be a dead man instead of a wet one.

GO GREEN!!

Mike

Annie said...

I'm so glad you're coming to Michigan! Anastasia will be THRILLED! We must get the girls together.


She is going to be making her first communion on Saturday evening, in Brighton, as her godfather is a priest and pastor there. So, let me know what would work. We probably won't be back TOO late (Mass is at 5, followed by a dinner), so Julia could spend the night if that would work. She could certainly go with us, too. e-mail me! Annie