Friday, October 5, 2007

Life in Cincinnati

This has been a pretty good week for me. The best part is that I feel like I have made a friend down here. Her name is Ranette. She lives on the street behind our house. We have met for lunch two times now. Ranette is also a breast cancer survivor. She has three children ranging in age from 10-15. She is a Christian, too. She is just a nice person and when we have lunch, it is non-stop talking. Ranette has asked me to be in her women's bible study. It is women in our neighborhood who also attend Crossroads Church. I feel so blessed to have met her. We will begin our Bible study the Tuesday evening that I return from Haiti. I am also looking forward to meeting and getting to know the other women in the group.

Tim and Julia have each had good weeks. Yesterday, I took Julia Subway for lunch and sat with her while she ate. I got to meet her new friend, Camryn. It was a lot of fun. I took Tim Subway the week before, but he wouldn't let me sit with him and his friends while he ate. ha!

We are looking forward to the weekend. The only "plans" we have are Tim's football game on Saturday afternoon. Hopefully they will get a win under their belts. Mike and I may finally get a chance to celebrate our 24th anniversary on Saturday night.

I find myself really looking forward to church this weekend. For the last four weeks, the topic has been called "Love and Sex." I have never heard such honest discussions on this topic in my life. It is about God's love for us and how it relates to why we shouldn't have sex outside of marriage, and other stuff. Each week they have had video of people from our church talking about their personal experiences and how God has used this in their life. It has been amazing to me to see their honesty on this topic. I think that is WHY I like this church so much. People are "real" and not faking it. They are not afraid to be honest and talk about "real" life issues. Okay, I didn't mean to get preachy or anything.

Enjoy the weekend!
Love,
Karen

PS Mike, Kait and Nick.....let's hear from you now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen:

I am so happy for you. How did you guys meet? That is awesome.

I have to shower now so that mom and the girls and I can go and have dinner together!!

Love and hugs
karla

kaitlyn said...

Hi mama, thanks for the update. That's cool that you got lunch with Ranette again! I'm glad you're not missing the Bible study while we're in Haiti. Can you believe that in one week we'll be there?!
I love the church series, too. Crossroads is awesome.
I will update as soon as I get a minute. I'm too busy:(
Love!
Kaitlyn

Anonymous said...

Karen,

So glad you have connected with someone special in Cincinnati. I know that a move like you have made can be difficult under the best of circumstances. You are a dynamic human being, full of God's love, and you will bless all those with whom you come in contact.

The only negative thing about Tom and I coming to Cincinnati while you are in Haiti is that you will not be there! We will do our best to hold down the fort and feel grateful to be sharing the time with Mike and those beautiful kids.

Love you.

Linda