Sunday, October 21, 2007

unpacking haiti


Wow. We are back from Haiti. I don't really know where to begin writing about the week I just experienced. It's overwhelming to come back, and I feel like there's so much to "unpack" from my time there. Being back in the United States now, it's weird to think that yesterday morning I was in Haiti. They feel like two completely different worlds. To go from the poorest country in the western hemisphere back to the US.. it's just hard to wrap my mind around. Because it's the same world, the same human race, but it's so different. The life I know here is not anything like the life Haitians know. I'm sitting in my own bedroom, in a nice house, on my computer, with wireless internet, using electricity that will not shut off, drinking clean water that I could have in abundance, with a full stomach, my own car sitting outside, 7 months from earning a college degree. I did laundry today with a washer and dryer, and I took a hot shower. If I got sick tonight, I could go to the hospital that is 5 minutes away and know I would be taken care of. All I have to do is lock my front door at night to feel safe, and if anything happens I can call the police and know they will come. All of these things, and I'm sure there are more, they are just part of the life and world that I know. If I were an average Haitian, none of the things I listed would be part of my world. So, yeah.. I guess my point is that it's hard to assimilate the two places in my mind, to go from being here to being there for a week and now here again. To be in two places that are so drastically different yet the same - the same world created by God, with people created in the image of the same Father. It's craziness. So yeah, those are the thoughts about the world that Haiti conjures up and I'm trying to process in my mind..

Anyway, moving onto my actual experience there! It was so great to go back to Three Angels and see the kids again! I liked the "second time" experience, because I got there and I recognized almost all the faces and remembered a lot of names. I knew generally what to expect around there and felt comfortable. The kids are all so awesome and fun.. they just bring me joy:) Jonathan remembered me! Right when we got there on Saturday, he was sitting outside, and he saw me and got a big smile on his face and went to me. Then, every time I went up to the nursery, he would see me and get that big smile and crawl right to me. It was so encouraging to see how happy he is now! In August, I didn't see him smile until the third day with him, and in general he was discontent. Last week, I saw him smile and laugh countless times, and he crawls around and plays on his own. Wow, I need to remember how good God is.. when I left Haiti last time Jonathan didn't have a family.. and now, he gets to meet his mom and dad in a few weeks!! Yay! I also spent a good amount of time with Monthania (her nickname is Matu) and just fell in love with that little girl. She has the best smile! I enjoyed using the Creole I've been learning. I don't know a ton, but enough to communicate a little with the kids, which was really cool. I think it's such a great language and I can't wait till the day I'm fluent in it!

I definitely have more to write about, but I'm exhausted, so this will have to be a "to be continued.." Goodnight!

Monthania all ready for preschool!

I love this picture of Jonathan! Look how happy he is!

8 comments:

It's Gonna Be Me said...

I am so thrilled to know you are now well and had a fabulous trip despite your illness, Kaitlyn! I am sure I will understand what you mean by the two worlds very soon. I look forward to being able to share Haiti stories with you, too.

It is wonderful seeing Jonathan smiling and so happy! It’s a blessing knowing he was loved by you all week as well as everyone at TA’s everyday. I am anxious to hear all about your trip and time with our little boy. J

Who knows…maybe we can visit Three Angels together sometime soon? I would love to see the spark you add to Jonathan’s life first hand!

Love,
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn:

I loved reading your observations of Haiti.....how can Haiti be so close to us in distance, and so far away in all the other ways.

I love that picture of you and Jonathan. I love both your smiles!!!

I look so forward to hearing more when yoy are rested up and have more time. Karen we want to hear from you too!!

love you

Karen Combes said...

Kaitlyn:

Thanks for putting into words what I'm feeling today. Your title of "unpacking" Haiti is so true.

I loved spending the week in Haiti with you! I am so proud of your love for that country. Your heart and priorities are in the right place.

I miss you so much today.... but am thankful for the memories of our shared love for Haiti!!

Love,
Mom
ps I will post soon, too!

msufan56 said...

Kaitlyn,

Thanks for such a great post. Wow - you did a nice job of explaining what it's like to be in Haiti for someone like me who has never been there. I am so proud of your loving and caring spirit. Praise God for you and your wonderful heart.

Love, hugs and kisses,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn,

Your first paragraph was like reading an article in the NY Times. It impacted me. Maybe part of your mission in life will be enlightening people about the lives of others. It's one of your many gifts.

We love you and are touched that you are giving so much to others at such a young age. God is smiling.

Love,

Aunt Linda and Uncle Tom

Anonymous said...

Amen to Lindas post.

Your post took me right back to how it was whenever I got back from Haiti....and 5 years later, I still struggle with many things here VS what they have in Haiti, or don't have. I could go on and on but just wanted to say AMEN to Lindas post!

Anonymous said...

Karen:

Waiting for you to unpack Haiti and tell us your thoughts!

Love ya
Karla

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Hi Girls!

Hope you are rested and back into the swing of things. I am so glad to know you had a good trip to Haiti. NINE more days for us and we will be caring out God's will down there, too. Hope we can see some more pictures of your trip soon!

Blessings,
Colleen