Monday, June 16, 2008

First Surgery Update

Hello family and friends. This is Mike with the first update on Karen's surgery. She entered the operating room at 7:42am so surgery has begun. Please keep Karen in all your prayers please. She was very upbeat and calm this morning - just like she has been through this entire process. It is so different than the mastectomy, chemo and radiation portions of her breast cancer. You could see the feeling of dread that Karen had in those situations. She enters this surgery with a much more positive sense than the other situations. Our family praises God that Karen's cancer is gone and that this surgery is positive in nature in that it is restoring her body. It's all part of the process of restoring Karen and our family emotionally and physically after her cancer. Tim understood the reason and meaning of this surgery much better than I certainly did. One day as we were debating the merits of this breast reconstruction surgery, Tim wisely stated, "Mom, I can understand why you would want this surgery. For us, your cancer is over and in the past. But you get a reminder every time you look in the mirror or take a shower and see a part of your body missing." Oh, "out of the mouth of babes."

We got into Cleveland about 7pm last night and got checked into the hotel. We went to an Applebee's and had a nice dinner and watched the US Open Golf Tournament (what a putt by Tiger on 18 - wow. Karen and I caused a scene by screaming and slapping fives when he sunk the putt.) We were in bed by 9:30pm and got a great night sleep. Karen was very rested this morning.

Well, I'll keep you posted as I get updated today. The surgery is expected to last 8-10 hours. They said they will update me every 2-3 hours.

Thanks for your support and prayers. We are very thankful to have such wonderful, kind, supportive and caring family and friends.

Love,

Mike

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Mike. We just got up and came right to the computer to see if you have posted.

I prayed for Karen in the night when I was awake. I will be so happy to hear that the surgery is over and all is well.

Everything is fine here! The kids are having a blast!

Keep us posted!

You are in our thought and prayers too Mike...being there all alone. Call us if you need to talk!

Love you
Karla and Kelly and all the Cincinnati peeps!

msufan56 said...

Karla,

Thanks for the prayers for Karen and me. Thanks so much for taking care of the kids for us. It is such a blessing for us to have family like you, Kelly, Linda and Tom who are willing to take time out of their lives to always be there to help us in times of need.

I bet the cousins are having a blast together. It is so neat how they just love to be together.

Love,

Mike

kaitlyn said...

Hi dad, thanks for the update. It really helps to give me peace of mind when I'm so far away. I have been praying all last evening and this morning for mom and will continue today.
Please keep us updated! I will be gone all day with our nannies for a nanny training seminar so I won't be able to check back until 4.
Is your cell phone working there? Or is there anyway you can put Skype on your computer?

Love,
Kait

msufan56 said...

Kaitlyn,

I do have my cell phone and I'm going to try to use my limited technological skills to put skype on my computer. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks so much for the great father's day card you sent me. I will always treasure the words you wrote. You made your Dad feel loved, valued and respected - thanks.

Love,

Dad

msufan56 said...

Kaitlyn,

I cannot get access to skype at the hospital. I checked the site and it is blocked by the Cleveland Clinic internet provider.

I'll go back to the hotel at some point today and try to download it.

Love,

Dad

Linda said...

Dear beloved brother, Mike,

Take good care of yourself. If you'd like company, just let me know. Love to you, Karen and family.

Love,

Linda and Tom

Anonymous said...

Mike:

Any updates yet? We are dying to know!!

Love
KKHTKJKK

Beach Bum said...

Mike

Thanks for the up date. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Mom