Friday, June 13, 2008

Surgery

So, last Friday my surgery got moved up two days. It will now be on Monday. Mike and I leave for Cleveland on Sunday. Karla and Kelly will drive over from Rochelle to take care of Tim and Julia. Julia will have two softball games during this time and Tim has ACT (his acting classes) that weekend.

Can I say that I am both EXCITED and NERVOUS for this day. It is truly a day I've thought about since that day in July of 2006 when I had my mastectomy. I will be having the type of reconstruction called a DIEP flap. They remove "fat" from my abdomen; disconnect the blood supply and form a new "breast" from that tissue. They will "reconnect" the blood supply to my new breast so if I lose or gain weight, my breast will also change. So I get a tummy tuck in the process. The part I'm nervous about is that the recovery time. BUT, I will take the pain medication and I'm going into this surgery the healthiest I've been in awhile. So, that is all good.

If you could all pray for the surgery...that it is a success. For Karla and Kelly who have generously offered to come take care of Tim and Julia while I'm up in Cleveland having the surgery; Thank you.

Mike will be updating from Cleveland.

Karen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen:

We are looking forward to hanging out with Tim and Jules!!

Will Mike continue to update the blog on your progress??

Love you!

PS How is Keck today???

Anonymous said...

I just now see that you said that Mike will be updating...guess I was in too big of a hurry to read the whole post!!

Sorry!

Lori Waters said...

Karen --

I just left a note on a different page and saw this one was just posted today. I will definitely be praying for you -- I am also a breast cancer survivor, and we are a tough breed! My email is lxw16@psu.edu -- when you're back on your feet, I'd love to hear from you.

Lori

It's Gonna Be Me said...

It was wonderful to see you, Karen. My Tim can't stop talking about your Tim. :)

We are praying for you here, my friend!

Enjoy your week away at Club Med - ha!

Love you!
Colleen

Linda said...

Love and prayers.

Tom and Linda

msufan56 said...

Karen,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I love you.

Mike

Karen Combes said...

Thanks for the nice comments and prayers. We're leaving soon!
Love,
Karen

Nick said...

praying for you constantly! cant wait to see you in 2 weeks