Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Karen's Latest Pee Report

After a very rough first try at going to the bathroom where she nearly passed out, Karen has been up three times now to successfully pee. Although it's still painful for her to get up, she did not come close to passing out. After the second time she got up to pee, she actually wanted to stay seated for awhile. She sat in a chair for about 45 minutes - this is great progress.

We are having fun just talking - the two of us with no interuptions (except for the nurses). We watched parts of the Tim Russert funeral. Boy - his son gave an incredible eulogy. Karen and I were HUGE fans of Tim Russert. Whenever he came on TV, we would yell to each other "Tim Russert's on" and we knew we were going to get the "straight scoop". I'll never forget Kaitlyn and I staying up all night the night of the 2000 election watching that incredible election. We were watching the NBC coverage so we watched plenty of Tim Russert. It was a special father and daughter moment watching history unfold in front of us.

Karen just took some more pain medication so she is sleeping again.

Thanks for your love and prayers. We can feel them.

Love,

Mike

PS: I have moved out of the hotel and into Karen's room. She has a single room with a fold out bed and the nurses said it was OK for me to stay here. That will allow us to save some money on the hotel room which is nice.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike and Karen, I love getting the up dates on Karen. Sounds like she's on the road to recovery. I was a big fan of Tim Russert too. I could hardly believe it when I heard the news of his death. I didn't hear the eulogy but I did see snips of the funeral. Maybe they will replay it. He was such a nice guy. Glad you're able to stay in Karen's room Mike.
Mom

Unknown said...

Keep up the great progress Karen. Mike, I hacked my way into the hospital computer system and looked up the patient complaints. It appears that there are a lot of complaints of food missing of the patient carts on the 7th floor. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that....Mr. "I'm doing the hospital a great service". I glad you're able to be with Karen through this. Call if you ever get time. Jim

PS Renee says hi and is keeping up with your progress. She's keeping Ruth Anne Harmes and Kim Forster updated also.

Linda said...

Karen and Mike,

Glad to hear the progress and hope you sleep well tonight. I think the time for you two together is precious.

I watched the Tim Russert memorial service from the Kennedy Center with a number of wonderful people speaking. Tom and I were big fans, too. The outpouring of love for him has been amazing.

I'm looking forward to a great musical experience Friday night as well as an opportunity to share one of your passions in life, Mike.

Karen, take good care of yourself. You are loved.

Good night, you two.

Love,

Linda and Tom

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Oh my goodness, I have missed a whole bunch the last few days!

Karen, I am so, so glad your surgery went well and you are recovering like a champ. Even my Mike was impressed with all you have accomplished the last few days - including a perfect surgery. Praise the Lord! Mike is very into "get up and moving" after a procedure and is pleased to read you are doing so. You go, Girl!

We continue to pray for you, your healing and time in the hospital.

I love ya, travelin' buddy!
Colleen xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike & Karen! I"m sorry I haven't commented earlier, but I've been busy following the FIRST PLACE Chicago White Sox! I am sooo glad everything is going so well. I had only one question for you, Karen, but Tim already asked that question. I will keep praying for continued healing & strength. Also, thank you very much for the Barnes& Noble gift card. That was very nice. Keep getting better & in no time you'll be back to doing bench presses. Love you guys! Rod

junglemama said...

Where have I been? I hope Karen feels better. ((hugs))

Nick said...

tim russert died?!?!??! news to me!

msufan56 said...

Nick,

Yes, unfortunately Tim Russert died of a heart attack at the young age of 58. The outpouring of sympathies from fans, political figures and those in the media was overwhelming.

It's all very sad. He was a great man and I have learned so much from him in terms of politics and life.

Go Germany - the game is on here at 2pm and Karen and I are going to watch. I'm not sure if we'll paint our faces though.

Love,

Dad

Nick said...

hahaha thats awesome you get to watch it! We have to go to see the play My Fair Lady at the castle tonight. They have a stage set up outside of it. So we have to miss the game!! hopefully we can catch the end of the game. They are making the coach sit in the stands and can't talk to the team. He got in trouble last time for something he did...so that stinks.

kaitlyn said...

Hi mom and dad!! With my lack of internet access I get so behind on updates and comments! I'm so glad to hear that mom is doing well and making progress in recovering. It sounds like you two are making the most of this opportunity to rest and spend time together.
I love you both and have been thinking about you and praying for you. Dad - your concert is tomorrow? HAVE FUN!
Love,
kait